Friday, September 29, 2017

Off With His Head!

Just a quick post. I'm slammed with end of quarter grades, at work, and also a hefty assignment in my graduate program. I'll be catching up with things next week.

In the meantime, I've started casting 40mm SYW miniatures using Prince August molds, as I posted before. I'm having some trouble getting the heads to cast. I do not expect everything to come out 100% every time, but I am consistently having trouble getting any of the 4 heads in the infantry molds to turn out.

I've fiddled with the temperature of the metal, used the talc properly, and tapped the mold. Yet, I think the problem is that I need to vent each head, with the cut leading to a hole in the mold for the air to escape. I've also adjusted the clamps on the backerboards. Some times, everything will line up and I get one perfect pour, but although I am doing the same thing each time, the outcome is inconsistent.

Still, my preference is to avoid cutting and drilling, if possible.

Any reader have much experience with these particular molds? I'm using the recommended Model Metal, so that should not be the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment